Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Evacuation Day Reflections #2

Our school play, Evacuation Day, the Musical, is over, but its effects are not. You can still hear a few kids humming as they move through the halls. A few more copies of the Perkins School's book, Why Do We Celebrate Evacuation Day?, can be seen on shelves and desks than usual.

Other outcomes may not be as visible, but they are just as important, maybe even more. Being in a play, trying hard, working in a group--these actions have an effect too. Occasionally, for a while, we'll report on how some of the kids felt being involved in the production.

Here are Molly's thoughts on the matter. She played British General William Howe.

It was hard because we had to learn a lot of stuff, especially the last parts where we had to come out at the right time, had to say a lot of lines. It’s hard because you need to remember all of that and do your best. What was good about the play is that you had a lot of fun. You were with your friends. It’s just fun to know your part, to be in the play. Everyone is watching you. It’s kind of, “Oh no! Am I going to do good or do bad?” but I thought I did pretty well. When you were practicing, there’s no one watching you. And you’re not scared when you are with your friends -- but then...EVERYBODY’s watching you! My mom helped me a little. When we were at the dress rehearsal and all of our parents came to watch, we made a couple of mistakes. I thought, “What if we do this when the mayor comes? Then it would be a total disaster!” But my mom told me that they don’t know the script, so if you mess up – they won’t even know you messed up. I practiced with my mom some lines that were really long – and that’s how the play came to a good end for me!"