Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Movin' On!





It's Fifth Grade Graduation Day!








As the time grew near, more and more parents, siblings, and relatives poured into Perkins' 5th grade classroom. It got so full that some began sitting on the floor until a teacher came to the rescue with more folding chairs. They all waited excitedly until the kids filed in, met with a burst of applause and camera flashes.

Principal Brawer started by saying that this was a Big Day, but not THE Big Day, because those would come when the kids graduate high school and college. "This is not the Class of 2011," he said, "it is the Class of 2018!"



Then the certificates started coming--a select number of students were given awards for excellence in conduct, reading, and the Principal's award and Ms. Daniels, the science teacher, gave an award that she started last year.


Mr. Brawer handed out the completion certificates...

and Ms. Muenkel gave each of her fifth graders a beautiful handmade memory stone as a goodbye gift.

Many students got up in front of their families to share things they wanted to say. Here are some examples:

I would like to dedicate my hard work to my friends and family.

I love being here and will miss the school so much.

MJP helped me to push my potential so I can get into a good school.

This is a day of achievement for us 5th graders.

I feel like I belong.

God bless the Michael J. Perkins School.







After that, the students turned the tables by presenting handmade cards for teachers and programs that had helped them this year. Then ceremony ended with the song, "We Are the World," and very fitting beautiful lyrics:

We are the world,
We are the children,
We are the ones who make a brighter day,
So let's start giving.
There's a choice we're making,
We're saving our own lives,
It's true we'll make a better day
Just you and me.




Reported by Sadye Sagov