Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Congratulations, Graduates!

Kids aren't the only people in the Perkins community who are going to school. Last Friday, six parents from the Perkins family graduated from the courses they took from Parent University, a program that helps parents and caregivers help their kids grow and learn.


We had six graduates, but also many others, sometimes up to 20 parents, who met at the Perkins during the ten weeks of the Parents Math Class held there.



Research has found that when parents are involved in their children's education, the kids do better. And that's true no matter what a parent's level of education may be.








Lots of parents also find it hard to help their kids with their homework because they learned it a different way--way back when. To help explain it the "new" way, they need a refresher course.








So some parents took on the challenge. "I have learned so much in this class!," said Kim Mulligan. "It is sad to see come to an end. I have learned so much that I can sit down with my girls and help them with their homework. I did not know that "fractions" were my thing!!!





Erin Mayes is planning ahead. "Even though my son is in K2," she said, "I have learned many things that will help me help him in the future."



Parent University doesn't just run in the academic year of 2010-2011. Parents who are interested next fall, can call 617-635-1638.








As parents from the Dever school said at the graduation: "Esta clase a sido muy buena. Aprendi muchisimo y espero poder cojer mas clases en el futuro." (A translation: This class has been very good. We have learned a lot and we hope that we can take more classes in the future.)

We hope so too.